Sunday, March 21, 2010

Time may heal wounds, but not necessarily scars

After a particularly hard trip through the dating world, my heart hurt. It hurt bad and I was tired. So tired in fact that I came up with a therapy I lovingly call a "Cardio-ectomy" or a removal of the heart. I didn't want to put myself out there anymore, I was done. I put my heart away for some much needed RandR and didn't worry about romance. During that time I took a time out for me. Not in a selfish sort of way, more so I focused on school, went to lunch and a movie by myself, did a little shopping and hung out with my girls. You know what? I felt better, not all the way, but better and eventually I was able to move on. My wounds had healed, but my scars were there to keep me smart and remind me of lessons learned.
The other day I was browsing MSN.com and came across an article entitled "7 Signs You're Being Used" and I was reminded of that particular heartache. You see, sign #7 was about learning to make yourself happy instead of looking for that happiness in someone else. The main goal I try to help people reach is being happy and comfortable in their own skin before attempting to be in a stable relationship. If you are miserable with yourself, no one can fix your perspective for you, it has to come from inside you. Find out what you like about yourself. Find out what makes you happy. Then find someone.

1 comment: